This screening includes Secrets of the Surface: The Mathematical Vision of Maryam Mirzakhani
- Date and time:
- Thurs, Nov 18, 2021, From 7–8:00 pm
- 1 hr
- Free, no ticket required
Join us for a virtual film introduction, film screening, and interactive Q&A.
We’re working with our film distribution friends at Zala Films and Argot Pictures to bring you the film Secrets of the Surface: The Mathematical Vision of Maryam Mirzakhani. A limited number of complimentary passes will be available to watch the film on a first-come-first-served basis.
To participate in this virtual event:
- Be sure you have downloaded Zoom software to the device you want to use to watch this event.
- Register for the November 18 Zoom webinar to receive a link through which you will join the event at the date and time noted.
- To watch the film, you must tune in to the live Zoom event. At the end of the film introduction, a slide will appear with instructions on how to watch the film, which will include a web address as well as a password. The slide will also display a countdown clock indicating when the post-film Q&A will begin.
- Please note: The film will not screen via Zoom. You will need to open a web browser, type in the web address, and press enter. The web address must be entered into your web address bar—it will not work if you type into a search engine bar. Once on the film’s landing page, you will enter the password where it says “Enter password.”
- We recommend keeping the Zoom webinar window open while watching the film so you can view the countdown clock to the start of the post-film Q&A.
For more information on accessing IU Cinema virtual events, please visit our Virtual Cinema Frequently Asked Questions.
Panelists participating in this event include:
- Dr. Hussein Banai, Assistant Professor of International Studies, Indiana University; Research Affiliate, Center for International Studies at MIT
- Dr. Laura DeMarco, Professor of Mathematics, Harvard University
- Dr. Shahyar Daneshgar, Senior Lecturer of Central Eurasian Studies, Indiana University
- Dr. Shabnam Kavousian, Senior Lecturer of Informatics, Indiana University
- Dr. Kevin Pilgrim, Professor and Chair of Mathematics, Indiana University
- Dr. Julia Plavnik, Charlotte Ann Griffin Assistant Professor in Mathematics, Indiana University
The screening is sponsored by the Department of Mathematics, IU Center of Excellence for Women & Technology, and the Department of Central Eurasian Studies.
Series: IU Cinema Virtual Screening Room, Science for Human Flourishing: The Lives of Iranian Women Maryam Mirzakhani and Sepideh Hooshyar